AN EXCEPTIONAL GRADE II* LISTED GEORGIAN PROPERTY WITH ATTACHED MEWS HOUSE & GARAGING OF CONSIDERABLE NOTE STANDING IN A WALLED GARDEN (APPROX 1/3RD OF AN ACRE) IN THE TOWN CENTRE CONSERVATION AREA IN A COBBLED CUL-DE-SAC ADJOINING THE 11TH CENTURY PRIORY TO THE NORTH & THE CASTLE RUINS TO THE SOUTH
A substantial landmark property considered to be one of the finest Georgian houses located in the historical centre of Christchurch with uninterrupted views over the adjoining Priory and Castle ruins. The property would benefit from some modernisation and refurbishment but offers a lifetime opportunity to acquire a fine individual family home. Church Hatch is a substantial 7 bedroom house with an attached mews style property known as Castle View offering spacious 2 bedroom accommodation with an adjoining garage measuring 24' x 16' (7.32m x 4.88m).
Situated at the very heart of the old town, adjoining the main entrance to the magnificent Priory Church. The Town Quay and picturesque Harbour is just a few hundred yards away and can be accessed through the Priory grounds. The town's High Street is also a short level walk away with its shops, restaurants, coffee shops and public houses. Christchurch is a Saxon Town situated at the conflux of the rivers Avon and Stour and is a haven for wildlife, attracting visitors from all over the country. The Town is well served for transport links with a main line railway station to London/Waterloo (journey time approx 1 hr 45 mins). To the west of the Town approximately 5 miles distant is Bournemouth International Airport. Christchurch is situated in the County of Dorset and has a border with Hampshire and The New Forest.
Throughout its long history Church Hatch has provided a home to many different people, amongst others Major General Sir Owen Tudor Burne, a veteran of the Crimean War and Indian Mutiny (1903-9) and publisher Walter Hutchinson (1930's) who installed the first direct telephone line between Christchurch and his London HQ. During World War II Church Hatch offered a sanctuary to numerous evacuees who were, no doubt, grateful to exchange the perils of London for the relative tranquility of a pretty Dorset town. A few decades earlier, the house had also welcomed a rather illustrious visitor - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, author of the Sherlock Holmes novels. It was whilst staying in the "Pink Room" that Sir Arthur is believed to have been inspired to write "The Speckled Band", first published in 1892.
The extensive accommodation is arranged over 3 floors plus a basement. The property is naturally well lit and offers gracious, well proportioned rooms. The property benefits from gas central heating and sash windows with working wooden shutters.
The property is entered through an imposing porch with columns and frieze to a large reception hallway and dining area, off which are the study and drawing room. The main reception rooms have hardwood floors with double doors leading to the drawing room. Off the hallway is an enclosed porch at the rear giving access to the cellar and garden. The kitchen overlooks the rear garden opposite the imposing staircase. The ground floor also includes a cloakroom and utility area which gives access to the courtyard fronting Castle View.
On the first floor a gracious landing has windows to both the front and rear and gives access to the 4 principal bedrooms (1 with en-suite) and bathroom. A further staircase leads to the second floor which has adaptable accommodation comprising of 3 rooms.
Castle View is the adjoining property which was once part of the main house and has been used as offices in the past. It is accessed from the delightful walled courtyard and comprises 4 principal rooms, 2 on the ground floor being the living room and separate kitchen/dining room with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom on the first floor. It overlooks its own private garden to the rear with the Castle ruins beyond.Castle View offers substantial self contained accommodation.
The accommodation in detail comprises:-
CHURCH HATCH (Approx 2750 ft sq excl cellar & garage)
RECEPTION HALL/DINING ROOM: 20'7" x 20'9" (6.27m x 6.32m) max narrowing to 10' (3.05m), DRAWING ROOM: 22' (6.71m) max x 16'7" (5.05m), 2ND RECEPTION ROOM/STUDY: 15'4" x 13'7" (4.67m x 4.14m), UTILITY AREA: 11'3" x 5'9" (3.43m x 1.75m), KITCHEN/BREAKFAST ROOM: 13' x 11'10" (3.96m x 3.61m), CLOAKROOM with w.c. and basin
FIRST FLOOR: MASTER BEDROOM: 16'8" x 16' (5.08m x 4.88m) into semi-circular bay, BEDROOM TWO: 15' x 12'9" (4.57m x3.89m), BEDROOM THREE: 14'1" x 12'9" (4.29m x 3.89m), EN-SUITE BATHROOM, BEDROOM FOUR: 13'2" x 11'11" (4.01m x 3.63m), BATHROOM
SECOND FLOOR: BEDROOM FIVE: 19'11" (6.07m) max x 12'4" (3.76m), BEDROOM SIX: 19'10" x 9'1" (6.05m x 2.77m), ATTIC ROOM: 19'11" x 9'6" (6.07m x 2.9m)
N.B. There is a 2 room CELLAR with separate areas measuring 21'6" x 12' (6.55m x 3.66m) and 12'10" x 13'4". (3.91m x 4.06m.) Approx 430 ft sq.
GARAGE: 16' x 24' (4.88m x 7.32m) with up and over door from Church Street and personal door onto Church View courtyard.
The rear garden is a particular feature of the property being entirely walled and having separate areas for Church Hatch and Church View. It is surrounded by open grounds with The Priory to the north, the Castle Ruins to the south and ornamental grounds to the east. It is extensively lawned having a high degree of privacy and offers scope for further landscaping. The grounds are believed to extend to approx 1/3rd of an acre (not verified).
CASTLE VIEW (Approx 1250 ft sq)
ENTRANCE HALL, LOUNGE: 17'10" x 14'2" (5.44m x 4.32m), KITCHEN/DINER: 16'4" x 14'2" (4.98m x 4.32m), BEDROOM ONE: 17'10" x 14'3" (5.44m x 4.34m), BEDROOM TWO: 16'2" x 14'3" (4.93m x 4.34m), BATHROOM
In addition to the courtyard entrance there is an area of private garden adjoining the main garden at the rear.